Vancouver Island Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a martial arts school dedicated to the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). We are affiliated to Gracie Jiu Jitsu North Van (North Vancouver Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) under Marc Marins. We love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and would love to share our passion with you!
WHY WE ARE UNIQUE
1) Our Head instructors are the ONLY head instructors in Victoria that compete in local and international BJJ tournaments.
2) We offer the MOST fundamentals classes for new comers to Jiu Jitsu.
3) We have the MOST structured curriculum in Victoria and the South Island
4) We offer the MOST adult BJJ classes and mat time in Victoria by far, for the most affordable rates.
5) We have the MOST active and dominant BJJ competition team in Victoria.
6) We offer the MOST in depth BJJ self defense program and the MOST BJJ self defense specific classes
7) We offer an ego free environment, where we can make mistakes and improve because of them
WHAT IS BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU?
Widely regarded as the most effective hand to hand combat system on the planet, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu first garnered the world’s attention through the broadcasting of the early UFC shows. Millions of people were shocked to see an extremely un-athletic, skinny Brazilian kid completely dominate every opponent that stood in front of him.
The result, however, was of no surprise to the Gracie clan, the founding fathers of BJJ and family of the, then young competitor, Royce Gracie.
The UFC was not the maiden test of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu’s combat effectiveness, but rather an attempt to showcase BJJ’s abilities to the world in light of hundreds of victorious no rules, style vs style martial arts fights. The Gracie's new that they had something truly special, and they were ready to revolutionize the martial arts world.
More than 20 years have passed since the first UFC, and the Gracie’s dream is accomplished. BJJ has become an international sensation, capturing the intrigue of millions who actively participate in the art.
Known as the most effective grappling art of all time, BJJ is the great equalizer as it allows the smaller and weaker person to defeat much larger opponent’s through the use of effective leverage based techniques. Through training in BJJ, one understands the common, incorrect reactions an adversary will provide in a fight and exploits them to the fullest. What make BJJ training so powerful, is the fact that it allows sparring with full intent, while remaining in complete safety. As a result, practitioners become extremely familiar and comfortable dealing with the most common situations that may arise, as well as understanding how to deal with the very real aggression that may occur in a self defense scenario. Short and sweet, BJJ teaches tried and true self defense in place of fancy kicks.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is not exclusively a martial art, it is also a sport; a means of promoting physical fitness and building character in young people; and, ultimately, a way of life.
OUR MISSION & PHILOSOPHY
"The primary objective of (Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu is to empower the weak who, for not having the physical attributes are often intimidated." - Helio Gracie, one of the founding fathers of BJJ
1. To teach solid, tried and tested REAL self defense.
2. To empower people physically through the masterful technique of Jiu Jitsu and the strength acquired from training.
3. To offer the best Jiu Jitsu education, foundational and advanced, for street or sport on Vancouver Island, and allow a path through which people can gain true confidence backed in they're ability and hard work.
HARD WORK BEATS TALENT
It is our philosophy that to achieve greatness, you must first expect it from yourself.
At VIBJJ, we expect greatness from ourselves and from those around us, and it is through this focused community that we are able to achieve our goals
1. Improve 1% every day
2. Expect the best from yourself and those around you
3. Be open, inviting and kind to those around you and always offer help where it is needed
We are extremely passionate and driven to share Jiu Jitsu with Victoria. What makes us unique is our thirst for progression and the way that it manifests through our academy and programs. Jiu Jitsu is our passion.